Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Love is a Two-Way Street

Daphne was not your typical beautiful Greek nymph for she was a woman completely uninterested in love. However, because of her beauty, she was constantly pursued by suitors, though she would always turn them away. Her father, the river-god Peneus, was insistent that Daphne marry and provide him with many grandsons but due to her constant weeping at the idea of marriage, he could not force his daughter to go through with it.



Somewhere else, Apollo one day made Eros angry by mocking his arrows that Eros decide to exact his revenge on Apollo. Thus, he shot Apollo making him fall desperately in love with Daphne. This caused Apollo to chase after Daphne relentlessly, but that was only incentive for her to run faster. AS he was about to grasp her, she prayed to her father and he transformed her into a laurel tree, thus evading Apollo's grasp. Still not willing to admit defeat, Apollo fashioned himself a wreath of laurel to always wear and from then on, the laurel wreath has remained a symbol of victory in Greek culture. (Though how Apollo won in this situation I'm still not sure I understand...)

I believe my attitudes toward eternal life are for the most part in sync with the majority of us immortals on earth. Mainly, my reasoning is two-field. While on the one hand, it would be wonderful to live forever, and have infinite time to read all the books, watch all the movies, listen to all the songs, learn all the things, but lets just face it, if I knew I was immortal, I would probably spend my first 100 years just not doing anything, because hey I've got forever, right? On the reverse, if I were to suddenly have immortality, that would mean I would never go old, but all my loved ones around me would, I would lose all of my meaningful relationships and not have anyone left (seriously though, we all know how good I am at socializing. I would be left all alone) and I would have to watch as the earth pays for the abuse of previous generations and ultimately combusts. In that case, I'm unsure as to whether immortal beings can withstand combustion...that'll take some research. But that brings me back; I do not know whether I would personally enjoy immortality. Sure, it would be fascinating to get to experience all of the transitions our earth and society would go through and get to be a part of them (I'm thinking the 20s are going to make a comeback and I definitely want to be a part of that). That aside though, I am hesitant to accept immortality if it means I would be witness to all the atrocities and suffering that our earth is almost certainly headed towards. Perhaps I'll reconsider immortality if it comes with an escape button.

No comments:

Post a Comment