Sunday, September 15, 2013

An Unreasonable Amount of Sibling Rivalry

We met Adam and Eve a couple weeks ago, so now we're ready to meet their two children, Cain and Abel. As they grew up, Cain worked in the fields while Abel kept watch over the herds. When they needed to make sacrifices to the Lord, they each took something from their work; Cain brought crops from the soil, and Abel brought fat from some of the best of his flock. Unfortunately for Cain, God liked Abel's gift considerably more and made it known that that was the case--which honestly doesn't seem fair to me, because they both brought what they could and God usually doesn't seem like the type to pick favorites. Cain was--understandably--upset, and very jealous of his younger brother. One might say that he overreacted a bit, though, in asking Abel to come out into the field and then attacking and killing him. God reacted angrily at Cain, telling him that he'd now be cursed for killing his brother. The Bible goes on to recount the names of Cain's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and then it reverts back to Adam and Eve, who have really lost both their children. Eve had another son, named Seth, because of the loss of her two older sons.


For some reason I am getting the biggest kick out of seeing Cain and Abel as Legos. Their facial expressions especially should be noted.

Sibling rivalry? What is this nonsense you speak of?
In all seriousness, my brother is one of my favorite people on this planet, and nobody (especially not me) is allowed to fight with him. We've always gotten along fantastically; I think it's because he was nice to me from the time I was a baby, so I grew up wanting to be best friends instead of wanting to annoy him. I'm not really sure what I'd do without him; last year especially was incredibly emotionally difficult, and even though he's not here in Lexington, he was always up for talking with me about stuff if I wanted to. I could write an essay on our relationship (which I've done several times before, actually!), but I'll stop here for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment