Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The True Comedy

My favorite comedic bit in The Importance of Being Earnest is Algernon's constant subversion of the manners of high society in order to anger his friend Jack. This is perhaps best illustrated at the end of the second act when Jack and Algernon's deceptions have been revealed. They are wallowing in the fact that their loves have rejected them and so Algernon begins compulsively eat Jack's muffins (he is always eating). Jack persistently asks that Algernon stops eating his food and leaves as he came uninvited and tried to deceive his ward Cecily. In spite of him, Algernon continues eating, producing witty replies to every desperate plea of Jack's. This comedic relationship is the one that keeps me laughing the hardest.

Most of my humor has grown bored of conventional comedic styles. I can still enjoy a solid pun or genuine wit, but I am overwhelmingly finding myself attracted to absurdity. Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim are able to satisfy this attraction constantly. The following clip is a clear parody of Sagan-esque explorations of cosmological concepts but the real humor here draws from Tim and Eric's persistent ability to coin absurd phrases and situations (e.g. "Tittleman's Crest).

A recent find. Witty? Yes, but the absurdity is the real draw here. (Warning some language and whatever.)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with HANK. Haha. Great work Hank. Algernon is straight up annoying to Jack. And we all love when other people get annoyed. It makes us feel even-tempered as well as HAPPY. I laugh when this happens. Jack would say something like. "I'm going to the country". And then Algernon would be like, "Alright I'll be there at 5:30". This is the kind of stuff I LOVE. Algernon just jumps into this friendship, and Jack HATES it. I would hate to be Jack. Yeah I guess absurdity is funny. But what I think is funny is when something challenges what I think is morally correct or incorrect. For example, Some one pooping in a urinal. Much things to be explored

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what is the percentage of women versus men who respond to scatological humor. (Keaton was punning about farce v. farts just yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete