Sunday, December 15, 2013

jacob & esau



Okay, so there are two parts to this story. The second part is really long so I’ll simplify it

So Abraham’s son was Isaac who had a wife named Rebekah and Rebekah was too old to have kids so God gave her twin boys and the older one was Esau and the younger one was Jacob and I guess there was no such thing as good parenting because Rebekah preferred Jacob and Isaac preferred Esau. Esau would hunt game while Jacob preferred to stay home and tend the flocks. Well one day Esau came home exhausted and starving so he asked Jacob for some of his food and Jacob said Esau had to give him his birthright first. So Esau gave up his birthright for some soup.

Here’s the second part. One day when Isaac was really old and about to die he told Esau to go out and get him some food and when he came back Isaac would give him his blessing. Esau went out but Rebekah had been listening the whole time. She went and found Jacob and told him what she heard and then told Jacob to go get two goats from their flock so she could kill them and make the food Isaac wanted so Jacob could pretend to be Esau and get the blessing instead. (Isaac’s eyesight sucked.) Jacob went to Isaac dressed as Esau with goatskins over his hands so Isaac wouldn’t recognize him as Jacob (Esau was super hairy so it would have been obvious if Jacob touched Isaac that he was not Esau.) He got the blessing; not long afterwards, Esau returned with the game he had captured for his father and went to receive the blessing, but Isaac couldn’t give it to him because he’d already blessed Jacob, even though he was mistaken in doing so. Esau says he’s going to kill Jacob, and I understand why. Jacob was a dick, just like his grandfather, Abraham.

I guess I have to talk about my sister in this blog post, even though I’d rather not. My sister and I are total opposites.  She spends more time partying than studying, and cares more about boys than she does her responsibilities. Don’t get me wrong—she’s a senior about to graduate with a degree in economics, so she’s not totally hopeless, but once in a while I wish she would just think about what she should do or say before she actually does or says anything. As far as birthrights go, I don’t think she or I have any special privileges, but my parents do baby her a lot (she’s 21).

No comments:

Post a Comment