Tuesday, December 3, 2013

So, There Are These Two Sons...

So Isaac had two sons, the firstborn, Esau (whose name literally means "hairy" apparently, which is quite unfortunate) and Jacob. The two children definitely had a bit of a rift between them, as Esau was the big, strong man of the house who hunted all of their food and Jacob was the smart one who stayed home and did household chores. As such, Isaac much preferred Esau, and Rebekah preferred Jacob - which is kinda terrible, I mean, aren't parents not supposed to choose favorites? Anyway, one day Esau was out hunting for a while and came back with plenty of game but was super tired when he got back, and because Jacob is one for taking risks, he decided to tell Esau that he could only have his share of the soup if he gave Jacob his birthright (the one he had because he was the firstborn child). And because Jacob is dumb and couldn't have figured out some way around it he just went with it and gave Jacob his birthright so he could eat some stew. And that was some magnificent storytelling, right there.

Are birthrights really applicable to today's society? I have a hard time coming up with a birthright when I feel it hardly applies to me. I do not get any special treatment based on my birth. My sister and are, I assume, likely equal in that aspect, and the world does not owe me anything just because I was born.

Doesn't mean I don't wish that there wasn't some clause in the circumstances of my birth that require I get a free, good college experience. Or possibly just one that won't put me in debt for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment