Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A-BRO-ham (not actually a bro) (sorry I'm not funny)

So first off, it should be noted that Abraham and Sarah had a lot of trouble having children and that when they finally had a son, Isaac, he was considered to be a massive blessing for them. That said, God requested that Abraham bring Isaac to be sacrificed at Moriah in order to show his dedication to the Lord. Abraham prepared to obey this; he summoned two servants to come with him and split the wood he'd need for the sacrifice. Abraham and Isaac travelled for three days and came upon their decided spot and left the servants behind, bringing only themselves and the items for the sacrifice. Isaac was bright enough that he knew there'd be a sacrifice, so he asked where the animal to be slaughtered was. Abraham told him that the Lord would provide it. They were nearly ready for the sacrifice, with Isaac eventually bound to the wood, and Abraham raised the knife right as a messenger of God called for him to stop, that they saw his dedication. Isaac lived to tell the tale, though unfortunately a replacement ram did not. (But where'd the ram come from? They didn't bring any animals with them, remember?)

All that's on my mind these days is college, honestly, so I'm thinking that there are definitely some sacrifices that come along with it. I mean, first of all, take the admissions process. Talk about sacrificing some serious amounts of time and sleep and energy and, you know, self-confidence...but I digress. Because then actually moving away to school means sacrificing the life that we've known all our lives; ideally, I'll be a minimum of four hours away from home, so, sadly I won't be able to walk to my best friend's house from home and I won't be able to go home and crash on the couch if I'm feeling sick or overwhelmed. That's really sad to think about, honestly. Transitions are really difficult, and sacrificing familiarity is maybe the worst part. The hope is that the sacrifice will be worth it--not that I'll make new friends to take the place of my old ones or anything like that! It's more that the leap of branching out will pay off and provide some experiences and stories to tell the old friends to keep us close.

This is really sad. To lighten the mood, I have attached someone's attempt to make the Abraham/Isaac story not quite so morbid, which is probably too amusing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment