Thursday, March 13, 2014

wanderlust (i guess)

(Wow I'm so sorry)

I spend my time thinking of places
scattered across the earth
and how I'm not going
anywhere; simply staring at the maps
and pictures -
looking.


Wasting my life looking
at all of the places
and the awe inspiring pictures
of the parts of the earth
that I only know through maps -
instead of actually going.


That's the hard part: going.
Only looking
at the lined maps
and thinking of places
that the earth
has to offer, and the pictures -


the world rendered in a few flat colors - pictures
of locales I want to be going
to, learning about the people of the earth,
and really looking
at these places
rather than the cruel simplicity of maps.


Because these maps
can show me where to go and these pictures
are worth a thousand words, but places
must be worth a million, because going
and looking
really tells you more about the earth.


I want to paint the earth
in vivid stories that maps
cannot show; go looking
for the pictures
myself - always going
to new places.


Because the earth is told in words and pictures
that I cannot see in maps; for it is going
out and really looking to know these places.

...

Mostly I have to say that my annoyances with fixing my poem and just generally with writing it was the dang style itself. Sestinas, by nature, have a certain way of being written which lends itself to being repetitive and I had to fight myself to make sure that I didn't say the same thing in every single stanza. The repetition of the specific words made it so that I was boxed into certain things to say and that I also had to deal with making sure that the repetition got my point across without beating a dead horse. Particularly, I had trouble moving the theme forward, rather than staying in one place and saying the same thing over and over again. I enjoy poetry, but I'm not a fan of imposing arbitrary rules onto how it should be written. While it can come out really well when written, it certainly isn't the best thing to have a bunch random people who haven't written a poem in forever, if at all, to have to write. That said, I think mine is alright, though I had great difficulty writing it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment