Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Morpheus

“I know kung fu.” It won’t bring back the world.
5:15 a.m.: I wake from another dream,
the same as every dream. A man builds a ship
in my chest. Each of the sailors
carries by her breast a picture of her sister.
The ship is not the image of a ship.
Beyond its sails there are no stars.
The water is only water because it’s black.
 
5:15 a.m. Perhaps you’ve seen me
practicing my moves in the empty prison yard
and wondered whether you were the dreamer
conjuring me into existence from the bare
desire to caress a phantom ship
and my death the death of your desire.

This style of sonnet is Petrarchan Italian. It is supposedly about the matrix and is titled "Sonnets to Morpheus". Which is mainly why I picked the random sonnet because the Matrix is a great movie, but I wish the sonnet was about neo because he is cooler. John Beer the poet has a turn in the poem around line 9, the start of stanza 2. In the beginning he describes his dream, and in the second he is unsure if he is the dreamer or the one inside the dream, basically the story to the Matrix. I chose this sonnet because I love the Matrix, and because it goes along with the storyline of the Matrix and that is, am I awake and really in control, or am I a sailor on the phantom ship. I do not believe there are any modifications to this sonnet style, but I could easily be wrong. It has one stanza with 8 lines, the turn, and then the ending 6 lines to make it a Petrarchan sonnet.


No comments:

Post a Comment