Thursday, March 20, 2014

New and Improved


Summer

When the bell rings on June 6th: summer.
The papers fly up in joy. 
We scream and run towards the sun, 
our worries replaced with freedom. 
We can’t wait for the upcoming fun. 
Our brains are liberated from thoughts of school. 

I’m really ready to be done with school.
Only 2 and a half months ‘til summer.
Senior year is great but summer is more fun, 
Warm weather is a joy. 
After school ends, I’ll have freedom, 
My only desire is basking in the sun. 

Ouch! Hopefully I’m not burnt from the rays of the sun.
Any burn can be cooled by focusing on the pain from school, 
But I do appreciate senior year’s newfound freedom. 
I hope this weekend is a tease of summer;
My week has earned 2 days of pure joy.
Boys also just want to have fun!

I just want to go to King’s Island and have fun
With my friends and get a sun-
tan and radiate joy. 
Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I enjoy school, 
But not as much as the pure bliss of summer,
Nor as the 4th of July where I celebrate freedom. 

Red, white, and blue gotta love freedom. 
Fireworks and hotdogs, true fun
Only happens during summer.
Falling asleep in hammocks under the sun, 
Head vacant from any thoughts of school.
Nap time is my favorite joy. 

When Labor Day comes, my joy
Is over. Soon I lose all of my freedom.
College comes around just like better high school, 
All my fun
In the sun
Has come to a close, goodbye summer. 

All great fun and freedom must come to an end,
My joy is replaced with school. 
Goodbye sun, Adios summer.  

The main thing I changed in my sestina is one of the end words. I changed sestina to school because it made more sense and was easier to make logical. I also changed various phrasing throughout the poem but nothing too major. I actually enjoyed writing this I thought it was fun, and it made me appreciate poets who are actually good at this and can make a living from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment