Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Distance - Sundy Best

I chose "Distance" by Sundy Best. Unfortunately they aren't popular enough to lyrics when I google them so tall are just going to have to listen to the song.  http://youtu.be/oiJf-l1ZMM0

This song is, as per the prompt's request, somewhat of a love ballad. But the thing I like about it is that instead of dreaming of something unrealistic, this song faces the realism of the difficulty of a long distance relationship. It begins with imagery of the speaker driving many miles, as he describes the condition of his brakes and need for gas. It's obvious through this description that the speaker has been journeying for a long time "all for a chance / that I might see your face".

The chorus then uses a repetition of the word "distance" to make it clear that there is not only a physical distance but also an emotional one. This is echoed in the following verse as well - "I know we'd said we'd try this before / but baby I got scared and I walked out you door". It seems now that this song as evolved into more than a surprise visit from the speaker to his love but also a reconciliatory one. He returns with his heart for her, wanting her to forgive and make sure that there's NO more distance between them while he is there visiting. On multiple occasions, language that implies conditions to maximize the space, such as scooting over, making room, etc, is used to hammer home this idea that the speaker has yet to be forgiven and begs for a chance to rebuild the obvious relationship that existed before.

The last verse and repeated chorus change in my opinion leave the listener on a positive note. This is due to the word choice that is different in the last bit. There is no distance now, and the speaker is happy (as seem. Y a key shift in the music). It's no longer a question, but a statement, "and until I leave / there'll be no distance between you and me".

No comments:

Post a Comment