Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Denise Levertov

The poet I chose was one I'd never heard of before (which probably isn't saying much) by the name of Denise Levertov. She was born in 1923, and wrote many books of poetry. The poem I chose is from her book O Taste And See: New Poems, which was published in 1964 and featured a lot of her more feminist writing. The poem is called "The Secret"(http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178477):

The Secret

BY DENISE LEVERTOV
Two girls discover   
the secret of life   
in a sudden line of   
poetry.

I who don’t know the   
secret wrote   
the line. They   
told me

(through a third person)   
they had found it
but not what it was   
not even

what line it was. No doubt   
by now, more than a week   
later, they have forgotten   
the secret,

the line, the name of   
the poem. I love them   
for finding what   
I can’t find,

and for loving me   
for the line I wrote,   
and for forgetting it   
so that

a thousand times, till death   
finds them, they may   
discover it again, in other   
lines

in other   
happenings. And for   
wanting to know it,   
for

assuming there is   
such a secret, yes,   
for that   
most of all.



This poem was one I really liked, because it details something I actually do enjoy about poetry. Levertov uses fleeting stanzas and a motif of discovery to emphasize that the best thing about poetry is finding out an important truth over and over again. The stanzas are broken up because it relates back to her message. She enjoys the fact that as a poet, people can find messages even she didn't know were in there, and that even when they discover these truths, they are fleeting; "more than a week / later, they have forgotten / the secret" is, surprisingly, what Levertov loves about writing poetry. The repetition of the word "find" helps emphasize the message as well. The almost excessive use of "find" makes the reader believe that poetry is all about finding, about digging deeper into what subliminal messages could possibly exist. I agree with Levertov on this front, because I think it's cool to see people find things in your writing that you didn't see when you wrote it, whish is why I liked this poem so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment