Tuesday, April 22, 2014

America by Claude McKay

Claude McKay was a famous poet during the Harlem Renaissance Era, getting his inspiration from seeing the immense amount of racism in South Carolina. He moved up north to get away from this, and began poetry so he could freely express his talents like other black poets at the time. The poem America, reflects his opinions on the country at the time. He says he loves the country he is in, but with some bitterness. He hates what is happening now, but he looks ahead and see's greatness will come and segregation will be no more basically. And that everything will fade into history like timeless treasures in the sand.My favorite line is "she feeds me breads of bitterness" Like America gives him this opportunity, but there is a cost with it. Th poem is optimistic at the time I think. He recognizes that there is a problem in America, but he nows that it will surely end in the future.
Written probably in the 1920's.
America
Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger's tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth!
Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate.
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time's unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment